Thread: Rugby's future is in Asia: Kirwan

vCash

Rugby's future is in Asia: Kirwan

From Rugbyheaven

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...276580271.html

I agree with Kirwins opposition to cutting the "minnows" from the RWC but not because I think the game's future lies in Asia, though Asia may have a good future in Rugby. I just think that the stirling performances some of them put up over the weekend have justified their places already.

The way the Argies in particular have moved forward but also Canada & USA has also led me to question whether the ELV's should be introduced any time soon, much as I like most of them. The main area these teams are falling short is in the professional set-ups compared to the leading teams. They don't lack committment or courage. Just skills development and fitness. The ELV's may have the potential to put them back to square 1.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Yes, he's got a lot of valid points.
    This whole 'cut down the numbers' thing is really weird. If the IRB is serious about promoting rugby it needs to expand - not shrink. Asia is one market to expand in, not the only future, and needs to be nurtured and included.

I still feel that the cut back for 2011 is due to shortage of facilities in NZ.
    Hell, even France needed help with enough veunues etc.
    the IRB still has time to build new stadia. How about sponsoring a new on in Samoa of Fiji and having that as an adjunct to the NZ'11 campaign?

think outside the box guys, get proactive, not reactive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hopep
    I still feel that the cut back for 2011 is due to shortage of facilities in NZ.
    Well I think John O'Neill may have a suggestion or two as to where some good facilities can be found in the neighbourhood. Pretty sure he could guarantee they'd be "clean" venues too.

Whether the NZFRU has the capacity to swallow their pride and accept these suggestions for the greater good is a whole nother matter.

Don't hold your breath.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    IF...and only if...the numbers "have to" decrease to make the event suitable for that dog box called New Zealand to cope then I believe the IRB should actually go all out and create a two tier comp with 32 nations.
    Tier 1 being the current World Cup but with only 16 Nations and Tier 2 being played simultaneously in another country amongst the next 16 Nations as the World Shield or the like.
    All of the existing qualification processes would still stand, just there would be an extra twelve berths available.
    Let's be honest, to make a Rugby World Cup as competitive as the Football World Cup we would have to cull the nations down to about six.
    However, it was only a few years back that Argentina were at a glass ceiling of 8th position and look what continued development and exposure has done for them!
    I also believe that the four year cycle warrants a bench mark ladder sorting with all places from 1 through 20 determined by playing out every nation to a "Final" the same as the 3rd v 4th match currently is so that the tail end has the chance to play competitive World Cup matches as well.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Mmm that's a really good idea Burgs....I like!

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I heard John Eales quote a number last night during "Total Rugby" when asked if the RWC was too "predictable" and he siad that in 5 RWC we have had 4 winner....while during the whole history of the soccer world cup they have had 7??